Beau Bois

Beau Bois is a postal office and fishing settlement near Burin in 1911. It is 40 miles (64 km) from Placentia and 190 miles (310 km) from St. John's. The existence of Beau Bois can be documented at least as early as 1841 and probably existed for decades before. In 1844 widow Ann Farrell petitioned the Supreme Court of Newfoundland for redress of damages done to her by William Ryan and James Shock who went to her meadow at nearby Moorings Cove, Mortier Bay and stole her hay. She had been widowed in 1841 when her husband and sons drowned on a trip getting winter supplies from St. John's. Her cattle, hay, gardens and meadowland were her sole means of support. It is now a suburb of Marystown.

History

Beau Bois was around since 1864. The Way office was established in 1879 and the first Waymaster was George Dober. It had a population of 68 in 1911 and 58 in 1956. There was one store and one hotel in 1911.

See also

This article is issued from Wikipedia. The text is licensed under Creative Commons - Attribution - Sharealike. Additional terms may apply for the media files.