Liskeard Castle
Liskeard Castle was a motte-and-bailey castle in the town of Liskeard in Cornwall. No extant remains survive of the castle.
| Liskeard Castle | |
|---|---|
| Liskeard, Cornwall | |
![]() Castle Park, where Liskeard Castle once stood | |
![]() Liskeard Castle | |
| Coordinates | 50.452908°N 4.465013°W |
| Type | Motte-and-bailey |
| Site information | |
| Open to the public | Yes |
| Condition | Destroyed |
| Site history | |
| Built | 1230-1240 |
| Built by | Richard of Cornwall |
| In use |
|
| Materials | Limestone |
Liskeard Castle was built between 1230 and 1240 by Richard of Cornwall and the castle was in ruins by 1337. It was repaired on two occasions, between 1341-42 and in 1361. When being repaired in 1377, the castle was described as 'a certain manor-house surrounded by a wall'. Repairs needed during the reign of Richard II (1377-1399) were neglected and by 1538 when visited by John Leland only a few insignificant remains were to be seen and the site was being used as a cattle pound.[1] By the start of the 17th century it is assumed that only earthworks of the castle remained. Sir Richard Carew writing in 1602 concurred;
Of later times, the Castle serued the Earle of Cornwall for one of his houses; but now, that later is worm-eaten out of date and vse. Coynages, Fayres, and markets, (as vitall spirits in a decayed bodie) keepe the inner partes of the towne aliue, while the ruyned skirtes accuse the iniurie of time, and the neglect of industrie.[2]
The remaining earthworks of the castle were eventually flattened due to industry. The location of where the castle once stood is today known as Castle Park.

